The goal of this visual arts professional development program is to create a professional learning community for educators in community based organizations and Pre-K Centers throughout New York City. This program is centered on activating and enriching the art centers in Pre-K classrooms. Educators will gain enhanced teaching strategies that engage children in exploration, choice, and discovery. As a result, children show growth in observation, thinking, language, fine-motor, and social-emotional skills.
Selected sites will receive at no cost:
- Two days of off-site professional development workshops for teachers and assistant teachers
- A generous supply of high quality art supplies
- Written art curriculum and guidelines aligned with the NYC Pre-K learning goals and the
- NYS Prekindergarten Foundations for the Common Core
- 10 weeks of in-class mentoring and demonstration lessons with one of Studio’s highly trained professional visual artists who specializes in working with young children
- A family workshop in a chosen media lead by a Studio Artist Instructor on-site with takeaway art supplies for participating families