Reports to Director of Finance and Operations
The Accounting Manager will be a full-time position and will provide support for Studio NYC and Studio Institute accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, Cash Flow, and purchasing. The Accounting Manager works closely with the Finance and Executive staff.
About Studio in a School Association
Studio in a School Association is comprised of two LLCs: Studio in a School NYC and Studio Institute. Studio NYC engages over 30,000 public school students in all five boroughs each year and aims to ensure that New York City public school students receive standards-based, quality instruction in the visual arts regardless of socio-economic status. Studio Institute provides programs and creates new partnerships with communities and cultural organizations nationwide. Studio Institute is currently working with partners in Boston, Cleveland, Memphis, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
o Accounts Payable
• Collect, review, process and allocate all check requests and invoices; Communicate with vendors.
• Scan and file all AP backup.
• Print and prepare all vendor checks for review and signatures.
• Upload check batches to Chase positive pay online.
• Generate expense reports weekly.
• Track and maintain up-to-date tax documents.
o Accounts Receivable
• Coordinate with Program Team to secure and track NYC Department of Education (DOE) Purchase Orders and student rosters, and create monthly DOE Invoices.
• Work with Program Coordinators to track Artist billable workdays in respective Procurement Documents.
• Process all non-DOE 3rd Party Billings.
• Consistently follow up with DOE and partner schools regarding unpaid invoices in order to obtain payment for services rendered; process and record those payments (maintaining payment logs as well).
• Maintain up-to-date Billing schedule.
• Assist in depositing and recording incoming checks and clearing them in our system.
o Bank and Credit Card Reconciliations
• Complete monthly bank reconciliations, which include entering various journal entries to properly reconcile.
• Coordinate CC receipt collection and coding by Assistant to the President and record Credit Card entries into Fund EZ to ensure credit card reconciliation coincides with our AP payments made (review coding and descriptions).
• Work with Director of Finance to track and enter investment account journal entries.
• Assist Controller with completion of bi-weekly payroll, filling out workbook as well as updating uploads made into PrimePay to ensure payroll reconciliation.
• Update employee files within Timeclock and PrimePay systems (pay, taxes, general information).
• Maintain expense actuals and forecasting in cash flow schedules.
• Work with the Director of Finance on Program Department Budget YTD Actuals tracking and reporting.
o Fixed Assets
• Monitor Depreciation, asset sales and acquisitions, and leasehold improvements, and maintain Fixed Assets Schedules.
• Work with Director of Finance and Executive Leadership to further automate various finance processes.
• Maintain up-to-date vendor files.
o Audit Preparation
• Support the Director of Finance and Controller in the annual preparation of audited financial statements.
• Prepare salary and benefit schedules for the annual 990.
o Other duties and ad-hoc projects assigned by Director of Finance and Operations.
Desired Skills and Background
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred.
Experience and Personal Qualities
• Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, and self-motivated.
• Values accuracy.
• Familiarity and proficiency with financial packages and spreadsheets required. Experience with FundEZ is preferred.
• Experience in nonprofit organization or related role required.
• Demonstrated understanding of consolidation accounting in a parent and multi-subsidiary accounting environment preferred.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Suites including Excel.
• Positive attitude and a strong desire to be a part of a diverse team.
Habits of Work
• Strong work ethic with an appreciation for deadlines and adherence to project plans.
• Ability to multitask and juggle competing priorities.
• Creative and self-reflective.
• Self-starter but collaborative, team player.
• Committed to ensuring a congenial, collaborative, and respectful workplace.
• Skilled in being direct, yet graceful, organized and planned. Adaptive and thoughtful in a fast-paced environment.
• As a result of Covid-19, we are currently working in a hybrid schedule. This position would be asked to work from the office 3-4 days per week for check runs and other finance activities. Like everyone, we’re looking forward to getting back into the office more frequently.
• Studio in a School NYC, LLC is requiring all new hires to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 prior to the start date.
• Salary is commensurate with experience. We welcome an open discussion with all interested candidates about the full compensation package.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Accounting Manager” in the subject line. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter. No phone calls, please.
Studio in a School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to hire staff members who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, employment status, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.