Each spring Studio in a School invites candidates to join our community of Artist Instructors. Our current application season ended on July 1st, 2019. However, you may fill out our application form at any time and your materials will be reviewed at the beginning of the next recruitment period.
To complete the online form click here.
Studio in a School NYC, LLC is hires practicing visual artists on an annual basis. Candidates with some experience working with young people (3K-high school) are preferred. Our Artist Instructors hold part-time contractual teaching positions in public schools, early education centers, and other community based organizations throughout New York City.
Successful candidates join a team of over 100 dedicated artists who provide visual arts instruction in drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, sculpture and digital media. Artist Instructors work with diverse communities across the city, offering art education experiences in schools that often do not have an art teacher.
Artist Instructors collaborate with classroom teachers to lead art lessons in all five boroughs. Artists may work in multiple programs from one to four days per week throughout the academic school year. Goals, responsibilities, and duration of teaching assignments vary by program.
Who and what we look for:
- Active professional visual art practice with an exhibition history (this may include exhibitions you participated in as a student)
- Foundational skills in painting, drawing, and sculpture
- Interest in teaching many different media including painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, printmaking, 2-D graphic design, and digital media
- Interest in writing lesson plans and curricula
- Interest in working with young people; preference is given to candidates with demonstrated ability to teach children and teens
- Respect for and celebration of diversity and diverse communities
- Ability to collaborate and work with teachers, administrators, and parents
- Strong communication and organizational skills for tasks such as record keeping, ordering supplies, and email correspondence
- Interest in and availability for ongoing New Artist training
About Studio in a School NYC, LLC
For over 40 years, Studio in a School has collaborated with the New York City Department of Education, early childhood education centers, and other community-based organizations to bring high quality visual arts experiences to students and teachers. Studio is a not-for-profit arts organization that places professional visual artists at partner schools and sites to engage and instruct children, teenagers, classroom teachers, and families in collage, painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, 2-D graphic design and digital media.
Studio in a School seeks to hire staff reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.