Assistant to the Executive Director
Through the creativity and imagination of the visual arts, Studio in a School (Studio) has enriched the lives of more than 850,000 children residing in the five boroughs of New York City since 1977. Studio brings professional artists into schools and community organizations to lead classes in drawing, printmaking, painting, and sculpting, and works with teachers to link art with other academic subjects. Partnering with administrators, artists, supporters, and members of the New York City Department of Education, Studio dedicates itself to providing students with a full and meaningful visual arts experience. Each year, Studio offers a variety of programs to more than 150 New York City schools, taught by nearly 90 professional artists who devote over 45,000 hours to more than 30,000 Pre-K through high school students.
The Assistant to the Executive Director will be the primary support staff for the Executive Director (ED) and will be closely involved in all areas for which the ED is responsible. The Assistant also provides support for Studio’s West End Avenue office, facility, and staff.
The role provides a learning opportunity in a dynamic, highly respected art education organization. The individual in this role will join a passionate, talented team and will acquire skills in non-profit management.
- Provide support to the ED
- Perform administrative tasks, including scheduling appointments; screening calls and prioritizing outside contacts; writing correspondence, email, and acknowledgements; preparing, editing, filing, copying, and scanning documents; and tracking items that require action, response, or follow up.
- Assist ED in marketing and development tasks, including designing, writing, formatting, editing, proofreading, distributing, scanning, and organizing fundraising and marketing materials.
- Support ED on special projects, including the development and implementation of systems to support the operation of the organization.
- General office support and facilities management
- Receive and send mail, packages, and interoffice mail
- Order and maintain general office supplies and materials; organizing storage
- Coordinate cleaning crews, garbage removal and building repairs
- Coordinate outside service providers (copier, postage machine, telephone system, etc.)
- Additional responsibilities as assigned, based on the Assistant’s strengths and interests as well as the needs of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree
Experience and Personal Qualities
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Attentive to detail, meticulous, and thorough.
- The ability to prioritize and adjust workload.
- Technologically proficient. Comfortable with and knowledgeable about standard business software and systems, with advanced MS Office skills including superior Excel and PowerPoint ability.
- A warm personality and collaborative, professional demeanor.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Capable of physical labor as needed.
- Integrity and sound judgment.
- Interest in Studio’s rich history and the field of art education.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits and vacation package.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 11, 2016. Write “Assistant to Executive Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Studio in a School seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.