(multiple positions available)
Join an inspiring community of visual artists committed to teaching!
Studio in a School NYC, LLC is hiring practicing visual artists with experience working with young people (3K – high school), for in person, part-time, contractual teaching positions at public schools, early education centers, and other community-based organizations throughout New York City.
Artist Instructors will join a team of dedicated artists who provide visual arts instruction in drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, sculpture and digital media. Together, we work with diverse communities across the city, offering art education experiences in schools that often do not have an art teacher. We are looking for artists that live in or are willing to travel to sites in the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. Artist Instructors will also be expected to become a member of United Autoworkers Union Local 2110.
Artist Instructors collaborate with classroom teachers to lead art lessons in all five boroughs. Artists may work in multiple programs from one to four days per week throughout the academic school year. Goals, responsibilities, and duration of teaching assignments vary by program.
For more information about Studio’s programs, visit our program page.
We are seeking applicants with the following skills and experience:
- At least one year of experience teaching young people in New York City
- Ability to work at least 2 full days/week during school hours
- Active professional visual art practice
- Foundational skills in painting, drawing, and sculpture
- Interest in teaching many different media including painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, printmaking, 2-D graphic design, and digital media
- Respect for and celebration of diversity and diverse communities
- Strong collaboration skills
- Strong communication and organizational skills for tasks such as record keeping, ordering supplies, and email correspondence
- Interest in and availability for ongoing trainings and sharing meetings
- Bilingual/multilingual skills are a plus
How to apply:
To complete the online form click here.
To submit the form, you will need to include a resume featuring your teaching experience, exhibition history, and training in visual art. We also ask that you submit a cover letter telling us why you would like to work with us.
Please do not send images. We will ask for images later in the hiring process.
No phone calls please. Due to the very high volume of applications, we will only be reaching out to applicants we are inviting to interviews.
About Studio in a School NYC, LLC
For over 40 years, Studio in a School has collaborated with the New York City Department of Education, early childhood education centers, and other community-based organizations to bring high quality visual arts experiences to students and teachers. Studio is a not-for-profit arts organization that places professional visual artists at partner schools and sites to engage and instruct children, teenagers, classroom teachers, and families in collage, painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, 2-D graphic design and digital media.
Studio in a School NYC, LLC seeks to hire staff reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.