Reports to Associate Director of Finance
The Staff Accountant will be a part-time non-exempt position (20 hours per week) and will provide support for Studio in a School Association, Studio in a School NYC, LLC and Studio Institute, LLC accounts payable, Cash Flow, and purchasing. The Staff Accountant works closely with the Finance and Executive staff.
About Studio in a School Association
Studio in a School Association is comprised of two LLCs: Studio in a School NYC and Studio Institute. Studio NYC engages over 30,000 public school students in all five boroughs each year and aims to ensure that New York City public school students receive standards-based, quality instruction in the visual arts regardless of socio-economic status. Studio Institute provides programs and creates new partnerships with communities and cultural organizations nationwide. Studio Institute is currently working with partners in Boston, Cleveland, Memphis, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Accounts Payable (AP):
o Collect, review, process and allocate all check requests and invoices; Communicate with vendors.
o Scan and file all AP back-up.
o Print and prepare all vendor checks for review and signatures.
o Upload check batches to Chase positive pay online.
o Generate expense reports weekly.
o Track and maintain up-to-date tax documents.
• Accounts Receivable (AR) – Contributed income:
o Maintain up-to-date Accounts Receivable reports.
o Assist in depositing and recording incoming checks and entering and clearing them in our system.
• Cash Flow:
o Maintain outflows and inflows for Studio NYC and Studio Institute cash flow and work with Associate Director of Finance and Director of Finance and Operations to forecast in cash flow schedules.
• Fixed Assets:
o Monitor Depreciation, asset sales and acquisitions, and leasehold improvements, and maintain Fixed Assets Schedules.
• Intercompany Invoicing:
o Manage intercompany accounts.
o Calculate, generate, and reconcile quarterly Intercompany Invoices between Studio NYC and Studio Institute.
• Audit Preparation:
o Support the Director of Finance and Operations and Associate Director of Finance in the annual preparation of audited financial statements.
o Create, develop, and maintain schedules, and backup for assigned General Ledger accounts.
• Other duties and ad-hoc projects assigned by Director of Finance and Operations and Associate Director of Finance.
Desired Skills and Background
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred.
Experience and Personal Qualities
• Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, and self-motivated.
• Values accuracy.
• Familiarity and proficiency with financial packages and spreadsheets required. Experience with FundEZ is preferred.
• Experience in nonprofit organization or related role required.
• Demonstrated understanding of consolidation accounting in a parent and multi-subsidiary accounting environment preferred.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Suites including Excel.
Habits of Work
• Strong work ethic with an appreciation for deadlines and adherence to project plans.
• Ability to multitask and juggle competing priorities.
• Creative and self-reflective.
• Self-starter but collaborative, team player.
• Committed to ensuring a congenial, collaborative, and respectful workplace.
• Skilled in being direct, yet graceful, organized and planned. Adaptive and thoughtful in a fast-paced environment.
• We are currently working on a hybrid schedule. This position would be asked to work from the office 1-2 days per week for check runs and other finance activities and this schedule may shift and evolve.
Vaccination and Masking Policies
• Studio in a School NYC, LLC is recommending that all new hires be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 prior to the start date. It is optional for employees to wear a well-fitting mask in our office when the NYC COVID-19 Community Risk Level is “moderate” or “low” based on the CDC website. However, mask-wearing in our office is still required when the NYC COVID-19 Community Risk Level is “high” based on the CDC website.
• Paid Sick Time and Vacation Time, Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Pre-tax Commuter Benefits, 403b Retirement Plan, Aflac Supplemental Benefits, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
• The hourly rate range for this position is $25.00 to $33.00 based on experience. We welcome an open discussion with all interested candidates about the full compensation package.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Write “Staff Accountant” in the subject line. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter. No phone calls, please.
If much of this job description describes you, please apply for this role. Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often apply to jobs only if they meet all the qualifications. We recognize this and encourage those with relevant skills and experience to apply.
Studio in a School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to hire staff members who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, employment status, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.